Andrei Nicu

WGFest 2019 Developers Q&A Digest

World of Tanks Developers announced quite a few new things this year at WG Fest. Some are new information, other not so much, either way here’s a resume of all the important information shared.

• New Minigames will come next week to Tank Festival, to help players complete all the dog tag collections.
  • Wargaming will bring their own version of RTX, made so it can be available to all players. This will allow players to have new quality shadows without the ultra-expensive GPU’s. EnCore will be updated soon and players will be able to download it to test the new improved graphics.
  • Premium shells rework was successful during the Sandbox stage, with over 80% of players liking the changes. A third iteration will be launched soon to test changes to the HE shells. Also, no more invitation needed, Sandbox will be open to all players.
  • Doube Barrel Mechanics and New Branch: A new branch of Soviet vehicles will be added to the game soon (Harkonnen: I’ve heard possibly during Xmas update, but might change) with dual barrel tanks, also called twin-barrel. Supertest will receive the new tanks very soon to perform tests. Players can fire both guns at the same time or fire them individually like Italian autoreloaders. The main difference is, that both shells have the same reload time, and if both guns are fired at the same time, it requires a charge up time before you can do that again. This should reduce the DPM, but allow a burst of damage.
  • Steel Hunter was well received and it will come back next year. Some changes will be introduced. (Harkonnen: I know Wargaming wants to intercalate Frontline with Steel Hunter during 2020 season).
  • Halloween 2019: A brand new event is coming, with a new map and enhanced AI. Homefront bots were a test to the new AI awareness and it was well-received. Silent Hill director participated in the development of this year Halloween event. The new boss will be invincible and can’t be killed (Harkonnen: Strange for a fun mode?).
  • Rewards for old players: Also known as Service Rewards, is coming back and it will continue. The longer the player has been in the game, the more rewards they will get. The T-50-2 was just the first one. Rewards will be announced in a few months.
  • Anonymizer: Players will be able to hide their stats/name. Not even XVM will be able to get information, as the anonymizer hides the player ID. Wargaming also suggested that other players shouldn’t be able to tell if a player is using anonymizer.
  • There is no current plan for Tier IX Premium vehicles, but it might happen in a far future.
  • Wargaming is focusing on bringing new mechanics to the game, so we might see a few new branches added soon, rather than focusing on Nation that would just bring ‘more of the same’.
  • Matchmaker: Templates work and fixed the Tier VIII vs Tier X issue. WG is now working on changes for where special events might affect  MM  and the next step will be to fix SPG per battle. Fewer battles with three SPG per team and more with two or less.
  • PvE modes are currently being developed and will be coming to the game. (Harkonnen: I’ve announced this last year, where I knew WG was working on several new PvE modes. Halloween event, Homefront, etc, have all been tests for the PvE.)
  • Type 5 changes have worked, now both guns are in similar capability levels. The FV4005 changes have made the tank playstyle different, without compromising the damage so much. The STB changes worked quite well and the tank is very good now.
  • Object 430U changes were cancelled because they didn’t show any promising results. WG doesn’t want to overnerf the tank to avoid the usual nerf-buff-nerf cycle.
  • No plans at all to change RNG from 25%.
  • After shell rebalance, SPG changes might come(Harkonnen: I’ve been told there are quite big changes planned).
  • French armoured cars aren’t planned to be changed any time soon. They are under constant monitoring but are quite comparable to other nations light tanks. If needed, changes will be introduced in due time.
  • British light tanks were designed to be played in a particular way, and seem to be performing well. (Harkonnen: I think the ‘particular way’ was for them to suck, but OK).